Thursday, July 22, 2010

Trends: worth the 'tude?

I'm back from my one day hiatus! It was worth the wait, I promise.

So I'm going to diverge from the typical reviews of
eateries and hangouts. Montrealista Diaries likes to expand its horizons after all peeps. This brings me to the task of reviewing this little boutique I've been visiting for a couple of years now. And unless you've been living under a rock, then you're quite familiar with the Jean-Talon street boutique called Abe & Mary's.

Although the store front looks more like a garderie than a high end clothing/accessories store, the inside is a two-floor treasure trunk stylishly bursting with absolutely everything a fashionista could dream of: Marc Jacobs, Alice and Olivia, Michael Kors, Juicy Couture, J Lindeberg, Chloe, Tom Ford, Chanel, UGG Australia, you name it! Items are vast and include everything from high end beauty products, to watches, jewelry, clothing (men and women's), jackets, shoes, evening/formal wear, workout gear, etc. Heck, the entrance is even equipped with a café for the customer's convenience, where one can count on the agglomeration of a daily lunch crowd, most probably craving their sandwiches, salads and cupcakes! What can go wrong?

Well, plenty.

See, I have this silly expectation that, if I'm going into a store with say, the intention of spending 500 dollars on a gorgeous cream-colored Marc Jacobs handbag (during the worst recession in modern history, no less!) I suppose a greeting by a salesclerk (at any point, really) would be a fantastic idea, and might even play in their favour. Apparently, their training skipped the whole let's-be-cordial to paying customers aspect of sales. I was not acknowledged at ANY point of my visit. The severe attitude made me want to deck out of there faster than you can say couture. But I wanted to test the waters, give them the benefit of the doubt. So, I made eye contact with several of the sales girls, smiled, and all seemed to respond with the same stern look one would expect a stranger to give you when you are doing your daily commute on the train. Keep in mind, the boutique was not, by any means, overcrowded with clients. There's simply no excuse.


I'd like to point out that it doesn't matter how much a customer is (or isn't) willing to spend, whether it be a purchase of 15 dollar earrings, or 500 dollar sunglasses. It really does not matter. Give me a smile, maybe? And who knows, I might just up your commission for the day, and we all go home happy.

Or maybe they are just sporting fall's newest accessory: rudeness?
Actually, I'll pass on that trend. I'll take charm over the charm bracelet any day.

Keep it fabulous!

Mtl.D

No comments:

Post a Comment