Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I want "Candi"


Happy 20th of July, friends!

I have to say, wholeheartedly, that finding just the perfect summer spot is about as easy as finding parking on St-Denis. However, every once in a while, something almost magical happens. Where stars align and the perfect little bar, conveniently named after my favourite food group, comes to life in the 514.


Blog-o-lites, let us welcome Candi Bar to the family.

A newcomer to the Avenue Mont-Royal, the place fits quite nicely in the Plateau. In any other circumstance, a lineup outside a bar would make me cringe from here to the South Shore. However, with Candi, the simple reason for the queue, according to the friendly bouncers (a rarity in Montreal) is that they are close to capacity inside and they let people in only as people come out. Now, this is obviously a safety precaution. But in my case, I was particularly thankful on this humid summer night, for they were saving me from the prototypical sauna-esque, sweat-dripping feeling most other establishments seems to not thing twice about (Moomba?). In all fairness, Candi is minuscule compared to many other nightspots in Montreal. In fact if I were to approximate its size, I'd compare it to that of Gogo's.

In any event, we soon got in. And the first thing that hits one as they stroll into the place is the funhouse-looking entrance. It felt a little Alice in Wonderland, circa 2010. When one pushes through the swinging funhouse doors, you're greeted by a nuage of pink. The bar is so endearing, with its stools having plastic legs for stands and lollipop-shaped menus. Refreshing.

The crowd was early/mid twenties. Good-looking. And for some reason, the energy felt really positive. Although the pink backdrop might have skewed my judgement somewhat. The music was a mix of new (Phew!) hip-hop and the latest house. (Sorry peeps, old hip-hop sends me into a seizure, I can't take hearing Fatman Scoop any frikkin' longer)

Onto the real deal: Drinks. Not a bargain by any means. Although my group mostly tried the bar's signature drinks (candy included!) which came in ginormous glasses which looked and tasted much like slushies, with each drink costing around 11 dollars-a-pop. Ouchie. But overall, these cavity-enducing cocktails were quite yummy (aka sweet and a little light on the alcohol)

Also, remember my sauna comment? Well it got a little, erm, warm in there toward the end of the night. But again, I suppose this is inevitable at any spot. Just keep the hair clips handy, chickies.

In short, it was all about the experience. I hadn't left a new spot feeling this content in a long time. With a friendly staff and a creative concept like this, I'll take the sugar-enducing cavities.

Mtl.D


No comments:

Post a Comment