Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Terribly Branché and Typically Outremont

There is something very Upper East side about Montreal's ubber-chic Outremont neighbourhood. It has a mix of early-to-mid 20th century architecture, equipped with awnings and parks. It makes one feel a little more NYC than Bernard Street. But then one stumbles upon French Patisseries and terrasses like Les Enfants Terribles, which, of course, scream Montréal.

Desperately searching for an outdoor oasis on a Tuesday night was an impossible feat it seemed. Where is everyone? Isn't this construction holiday? I was slightly frustrated until, that is, we drove by Terrible's alarmingly charming corner eaterie on Bernard, it was a no-brainer. I have to admit I had heard of this place before, but I was sold (and, yes, guilty--judged a book by its cover) the second I saw the vibrant glitterati crowd and pretty waiters. Jackpot.

We sat and awed over the adorable spot, Les Enfants Terribles immediately felt comfortable. The host was very accommodating in helping us find just the right table on their fairly large outdoor dining terrasse. The second I sat down, I wanted nothing but a Rosé to help me savour this moment. I surveyed the crowd as I always do and saw a mix of all ages, many of which seemed après work chic. Pretension was low, but slightly palpable. To be expected, I suppose. In any event, the service was super-friendly and attentive. Our waitress was patient and all smiles. So far so good.

I ordered the quail and haricots salad, and my dining companion ordered the gazpacho along with their beef burger. My salad was such a hit I took mental notes on how to re-create it at home. The parmesan slithers was abundant and the toasted almonds topped it off nicely. My dining companion liked her burger, the fries were typical and ordinary, a tad soft, but good as well. She particularly liked her gazpacho, a pleasant tomato concoction which was fresh enough to withstand the hot evening.

The bill came out to a very fair 36 dollars each. Keep in mind this includes one drink, an appetizer and main dish. Fantastique!

In short, I'd say Les Enfants Terribles was a hit! In fact, this resto branché is the answer to anyone wondering: where are all the people and good eats at?!

Cheers blog-o-lites!

Mtl.D

No comments:

Post a Comment