Saturday, July 24, 2010

Breakfast perfection



Ahh, saturdays in the summer. Nothing feels quite like them. And the perfect accoutrement to a leisurely saturday morning, one may ask? Is a perfect breakfast.

There is nothing more pleasant than a no-rush, leisurely trip to a (good) breakfast place. My first rule about these spots, no matter what, is the bottomless cup of coffee. It's the go-to staple of any
morning resto. Also, one must keep the coffee coming, as I inwardly cringe every time I have to ask for a coffee refill when my cup is nearing its sad end. However, when the coffee is flowing, the mood is set for le petit dejeuner.

Le Passé Composé definitely kept the fresh coffee coming.

A pretty spot, neatly tucked away on Roy street East off St-Denis, and a stone's throw from Park Lafontaine, and conveniently about a 7-10 minute walk from Metro Sherbrooke, it was just what the doctor ordered. Not just a breakfast place, its tiny terrasse containing four tables (very european-ly situated right on the sidewalk) their interior was gorgeous. Don't be intimidated by the white tablecloths and the Tableau Art on the wall, they only add to the jazz music backdrop and red banquettes. Me and my delightful dining companion felt like we were back in old Paris!

Onto the main event! Zi menu. First off, the prices were what immediately hit me. Very reasonable, so much so in fact, I did a double take on most of their items (which includes everything from your basic waffles, eggs benedict, omelettes, french toast, etc). I decided on my morning favourite, French toast. My friend ordered the adorably named Tete a Tete, which had any traditional breakfast lover's dream: sausage, potatoes, eggs...

Now I bet you're wondering what makes this place worth my hype? Well, as cliché as this will sound, it was the presentation. Don't roll your eyes yet! I, as well, have a fond annoyance for plate presentations compensating for less-than-good food and mediocre service, but the quality of Passé Composé's ingredients and fresh fruit made me think that there certainly was no compensating needed. My French toast was light and cripsy, the eggs were fresh and their potatoes...unbeatable and wonderfully seasoned. A hit!

The only hiccup was the service was a tad long, especially with us being among the only patrons there. I suppose when breakfast is this good (and inexpensive) a long wait isn't so bad. After all, perfection takes time, you know.

Happy weekending blog-o-lites!

Mtl.D


No comments:

Post a Comment