Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mtl.D Takes Over NYC: The Final Cut

The last Mtl.D takes Over NYC segment is finally here! And it's a doozie! We'll be doing it award-style today friends, so I'll be comparing spots and giving you the 411 on exactly what makes (and breaks) these NYC gems. For the local restaurant dwellers, I've also included my version of the best noodle soup in the 514. Read on!

First off, you all know how much I love brunch. Sunday brunch. Monday brunch. Any brunch. It's my favourite meal, and Manhattanites do it best for a reason: their city is brunch central.



Contenders: BALTHAZAR vs PASTIS



VS



And the winner is *cue drum roll*
...........

PASTIS!!!
My rating: ♡♡♡♡1/2

9 9th Avenue
New York, NY 10014, United States
(212) 929-4844



This charming Chelsea neighbourhood dig is brunch perfection. A lively scene, it is not at all like its French bistro speakeasy counterpart. I was beyond impressed by how well we were treated. First off, Pastis has a terrasse (Hello!) and yes, sunday brunch gets rather crowded with New York socialites, who are out in full force recovering from their saturday night champagne overdose. Still, I adored it. Overflowing with glamorous groupings of impeccably dressed New Yorkers, not to mention being greeted by the sweetest New York City hostess I've probably ever met, arrogance was not on the menu. The service is a far cry from the pretentious-ladden hipster-esque Balthazar in overcrowded Soho. In fact, my last recall from Balthazar conjures up a sad image of me waiting 20 minutes past my reservation time sitting at the bar unimpressed, without even being offered so much as a mimosa. Tisk tisk barman! Not good.

Plus, Balthazar's runny eggs benedict were pedestrian and nothing compared to my delish French Toast over at Pastis. Yum. An added bonus? Celeb-spotting. I saw the one and only Kanye West flanked by a bevy of models over at Pastis. Sorry Balthazar, but next time you overcharge and serve lacklustre food, at least compensate with a celeb! Gosh!

Mtl.D tidbit: reserve a minimum of two to three weeks ahead of time.


Next up, nominees for best deli:

Contenders: CARNEGIE DELI vs KATZ DELI

The winner is
..........
KATZ!!!
My rating: ♡♡♡1/2

205 E Houston St
New York, 10002, United States
(800) 446-8364





There really is no explanation needed here to define my life-altering experience at Katz. It's a landmark, an institution, and a goldmine for a reason: it is the best deli in the city. Don't care about the monstrous line or the crowded, kill-me-now, where-do-I-even-order counter. This is New York City, baby. Just roll with the punches, and trust me, you'll enjoy the best motza-ball soup and pastrami sandwich with dill pickle you've ever had. 

Mtl.D tidbit: Go at lunch for an even bigger sensory overload (not for the faint of heart).
Betcha didn't know: When Harry Met Sally shot a historical scene there. 

And finally, the best sushi: 

Contenders: BUDDHA BAR vs NOBU 

(yes, it's a dead give away)

The winner is
..........
NOBU!!!
My rating: ♡♡♡♡+

40 West 57th St # B
New York, NY 10019-4001, United States
(212) 757-3000





Out. Of. This. World. Nobu has a reputation in NYC: if you can make it into Nobu, you can make it anywhere. Nobu 57 especially, as there is not even a sign outside the bulding, so you have to know it's there to go. Typical New York. But that's what I'm here for, bloggies!

Honestly, its unsurpassed quality and outstanding service. Decor is stunning and sexy with dark wood panels, chandeliers and high ceilings. Astronomical prices are to be expected, and so is the tedious task of having to reserve one month ahead to make sure you even stand a chance at getting in. Annoyances like this aside, it serves by far the best sushi and Japanese dishes you'll ever have. 




Mtl.D tidbit: use the online reservation site called Open Table. And I mean it; one month adead, minimum. Also, make sure you go to Nobu 57, and not Nobu Next Door. The latter is allllll the way down in the Meatpacking district and is crowded. Not my shtick.

Finally, (no contest here, just obvious regaling) you HAVE to hit Momofuku Noodle bar. It is the best noodle spot in the city! Chef David Chang (of the pricier chi-chi spots Momofuku ssam and Momofuku Ko) opened this East Village eaterie due to his booming popularity with the NYC crowd. Eat at the bar. Order the Pork noodle soup, and expect to strike up a conversation with the stranger sitting next to you, as he or she will be sitting very, very close.

Momofuku Noodle Bar
My rating: ♡♡♡

171 1st Ave
New York, NY 10003, United States
(212) 777-7773




And finally, for Montrealers keeping it local and craving a piping hot Vietnamese noodle soup these frigid days, you must try Nugyen Phi on Cote-des Neiges. Very authentic, and nothing fancy by any means, but perfect  on a cold winter night.


My rating: ♡♡♡


Restaurant Nguyen Phi

6250 CH DE LA CÔTE-DES-NEIGES, 
MONTRÉAL, QC H3S 2A3
Phone: 514-344-1863





Phew!!! What a list! I'm hungry now...

Bon Appetit, bloggies! 

Mtl.D xo



No comments:

Post a Comment