Tuesday, November 16, 2010

An Homage to my Longchamps

"There's nothing to fear, but fear itself." -FDR

I'm willing to bet he wasn't anticipating a Montreal winter.

I can safely say with certainty the following: ask any Montrealer what would be among their top pet peeves, you'll most likely get a resounding: "Montreal weather is a (rhymes with witch)."
The best variety comes in the form of days that start off crisp and sunny, transforming into windy and cloudy, giving way to rainy and chilly, topped off with foggy and creepy. Besides the weather, comes the ever so delightful STM delays, ATM shortages, traffic, morning frost, never-ending construction, and more traffic hell.

We're tough skinned for a reason, friends.

Kudos: Some take a more optimistic stance. For example, there's the good people in charge of the Christmas decorations at Place Ville Marie, who are making the long stretch of McGill College a little less drab:



Aww, pretty.

And then there's the more bitter end of the spectrum. I'm somewhere in between. And I owe it to a piece of canvas and leather.

Around this time of year, my bag always looks more stuffed and stocked than a friggin' Costo supermarket. Among other items, it usually includes: an umbrella, leather gloves (of which I loose an average of 2 pairs per year), a scarf, a cardigan, 2 mini hand sanitizers, a reusable water bottle, a Starbucks portable coffee mug and Motrins (tough on Montreal pain). But amid all this anxiety and clutter, there is a silver lining: My trusty Longchamps Le Pliage "Shopping". These miracle tote bags have made surviving such a high maintenance 514 existence just a little easier. Yes, they're a tad pricy for student budgets, but they're also foldable, machine-washable, water-proof, sturdy, and best of all, come in a rainbow of colours. It's basically the bulletproof vest of the bag world. What else could anyone want?


Oh, I know! An end to the construction on Parc Avenue, maybe?

Hmm. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

Until next time! Mtl.D xo

Ps- I'm working on my last segment of Mtl.D takes over NYC. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment