Friday, November 12, 2010

Eat, Shop, and be Merry.

Happy Friday, city slickers!

And welcome to November. Chillier days mean snugglier scarves. I refuse to fall into the fuddy duddy trap of late fall here in Montreal, which is why I tell everyone to spoil themselves with a new scarf in November. It just brightens up any look/coat/jacket.

Mtl.D tidbit: people always ask me where I get my scarves, and the answer is usually H&M. They have an amazing selection of scarves with a reasonable price range of 10-20$. Recessionistas, rejoice!



So welcome to part 2 of "Mtl.D Takes Over NYC", bloggies. First off, did you hear the news?? Apparently the beloved Rockefeller Center Christmas/Holiday Tree has arrived at the 30 Rock plaza today! How exciting! Check out the prettiest oversize load I ever did see:





The undeniable thing about Manhattan remains the energy. It gets me every single time. Thus while on my recent October trip to NYC, propelled by that very energy, I walked a leg scorching 32 blocks down Fifth, from our Blakely Hotel in Midtown to the Flatiron District.


Yes, friends, I headed straight to Eataly.

Mario Batali and Joe Bastianich have their genius chef hands full with this one, folks. What better way to bring Italian fare to the foodiest city in the world. Inspired by the original Eataly in Torino, it is a mega eatery. It is a high end trattoria, gelateria, supermarket/Italian restaurant all-in-one. I had to blink several times just to digest the mere size of it. Batali himself describes it as a grocery store with tasting rooms. I don't usually have the luxury of sipping my favourite Barolo while shopping for various Italian-imported cheeses, but at Eataly, it is possible. Manhattan regulars usually say it takes on average an hour and a half to get in. The line goes around the block.


But being Mtl.D, we had the timing down pat. We arrived on a thursday evening, right around quittin' time, and wow were we lucky. We strolled right on in, no fuss, no muss. We gawked like the giddy foodies we are at the endless labyrinth of stainless steel countertops adorned with fresh pastries, pastas, fish, cheeses, wine, meat, fruits, vegetables and finally found ourselves magically at their magnificent pizzeria.

I can try to use words, but they won't do my meal justice. I ate the most delectable, air-light, bubbly pizza I think I've had since actually being in Italy. Doused in extra virgin olive oil, arugula and four different cheeses, I was floating. It was a party in my southern-Italian mouth, and I was sad when it was over.


All I can say is don't miss out on Eataly, trust me. Just walking into the store itself is an experience on its own.

Mtl.D tid bit: I mean it when I say it gets jam-packed. Go on a thursday around 4h30, just before people get off work. If thursdays are impossible, try fridays between 2h-4h, or saturdays (if you dare) around 2h30.
Mtl.D tid bit #2: If your belly isn't too full from the food fest you just enjoyed, head on over across Union Square to (one of) the best kept secrets in Manhattan shopping. Nordstroom Rack is Century Twenty One's worst enemy. The designer mark downs are incredible.

Nordstroom Rack
60 East 14th Street
New York, NY 10003, United States
(212) 220-2080



Ciao for now, amores! Much more to come, so don't forget to "follow", it's worth it I promise.

Mtl.D xo


My rating: ♡♡♡♡♡+

Eataly
200 5th Ave
New York, 10010, United States
(646) 398-5100




No comments:

Post a Comment